We’re not even a week into 2020, and things already look like they are taking a turn for the worst. Australia is on fire, Iran and the U.S. are on thin ice. The world is looking a little crazy. I guess it’s safe to say that this may be a wild chapter in many people’s lives, as well as the world in general.
While there’s no way for us to look and see what the next 10 years has to offer, we can look back on the last decade, and see what wild trends and events that occurred and we were fortunate or unfortunate to be a part of.
2010 clearly wasn’t the start of the decade everybody had hoped, with the large amount of disasters and the tragic loss of the world’s greatest show. But, on the other hand, 2010 did witness an abundance of neon and bright colorways, including baseball jackets and oversized cardigans. Motorcycle jackets with studs, and skinny jeans. As well as Capri pants cropped at the ankle, something we have seen make a resurgence as of late as well.
Top Songs Include:
- “Just The Way You Are”. By Bruno Mars
- “California Gurls” By Katy Perry
- “Not Afraid” By Eminem
- On January 12th, a massive earthquake struck Hati with an estimated death toll of 230,000 and about 3 million were left to live in ruins.
- Toyota, a very reliable car company at the time, issued a recall due to many of their cars breaking down.
- The show “Lost” ended
- Chile disaster that killed 800, which also resulted in a tsunami
- Gulf Of Mexico Oil spill
2011 also took many 90s fashion influences as well, with acid wash jeans and parachute pants. High-waisted jeans, and patterns from Aztec and Navajo inspiration were worn on clothing as well. Along with Mosaccin sneakers.
2011 – 2014
- 2011 marked the release of iconic movies “Harry Potter” and “Thor”
- Shooting in Tucson Arizona, gunman open fires at constituent meeting
- The Harry Potter book series comes to an end after 10 years
- “Bridesmaids” becomes a top grossing film
- In 2012, Whitney Houston passes away.
- The New York Knicks and Linsanity dominate the NBA
- “Gangnam Style” is released on Youtube and quickly blows up (now with 3.4B views in 2020)
- 2012 was not the end of the world as the movie “2012” had anticipated
- “Radioactive” By Imagine Dragons was released and cracked top 3 in top 100 songs of 2013.
- In 2013, Johnny Manziel wins the heisman trophy.
- In 2014, Malaysia Flight 370 disappears without a trace. (Still unsolved)
- In 2014. Ebola broke out in greater numbers than its original appearance in 1970. So much as to where it became a public health concern.
- In 2013, the Baltimore Ravens were SuperBowl Champions for the second time, since 2001.
- Also, in 2013, 60% of all bachelor’s degrees were awarded to women.
- Star Wars was translated into Navajo.
Top Songs from these years include:
- “Sexy And I Know It” By LMFAO in 2011
- “Party Rock Anthem” By LMFAO in 2011
- “Somebody That I Used To Know” By Goteye in 2012
- “Whistle” By Flo Rida in 2012
- “Counting Stars” By OneRepublic in 2013
- “Royals” By Lorde in 2013
- “Started From The Bottom” By Drake in 2013
- “All About That Bass” By Meghan Trainor in 2014
- ‘Uptown Funk” By Mark Ronson that featured Bruno Mars in 2014
- “Shake It Off” By Taylor Swift in 2014
Some things that we’ll remember 2015 for are the clothing trends that are still relevant today.
Such as “Athlesiure” (Athletic wear as streetwear) and “lace up front tops”, that later dipped on the most popular chart.
Some top songs included:
- “Hello” By Adele
- “See You Again” By Wiz Khalifa
- “Can’t Feel My Face” By The Weeknd
- “Stitches” By Shawn Mendes
In 2016, we also saw Kim Kardashian get robbed at gunpoint in Paris. Donald Trump also wins the presidential election, Harambe the Gorilla is sadly killed when a child falls into his enclosure and he grabs the boy. Harambe was mourned for years on social platforms after his unfortunate demise.
Top songs Included:
- “Closer” By The Chainsmokers
- “Can’t Stop The Feeling” By Justin Timberlake
- “Work” By Rihanna
- “Hotline Bling” By Drake
In 2017, Beyonce announced her pregnancy and took the internet by storm. Trump begins his first year in office, there was a shooting in Vegas as well as London and Manchester. Tensions with North Korea reached an all time high, and homlessness in Ireland reached peak levels.
Top songs included:
- “Humble” By Kendrick Lamar
- “XO TOUR Llif3” By Lil Uzi Vert
- “Shape Of You” By Ed Sheeran (with a high of 4.5B views)
- “Rockstar” By Post Malone
2018 brought Beyonce to perform at Coachella, and Kanye to visit the White House. As well as the rescue of a Thai soccer team who were trapped underground for 18 days with their coach. And, The Tide Pod Challenge also exploded onto the scene, where a participant eats Tide Pods because it’s funny. It circulated through a Youtube video, and many started imitating it. A total of 8 people died from this trend, some of which who didn’t know it wasn’t candy. Such as elderly or small children. XXXtenntacion also was tragically shot to death while driving this year, aged 20. While that, his girlfriend found out she was pregnant and later named their son after Jahseh Onfroy, who was also known as X or XXXtentacion.
Top Songs included:
- “In My Feelings” By Drake
- “I Like It” By Cardi B
- “Lucid Dreams” By Juice Wrld
- “Look Alive”. By Blocboy JB
- “This Is America” By Donald Glover
- “Thank u, next” By Ariana Grande
- “Stir Fry” By Migos
Moving into 2019, a large amount of notable figures seemed to pass on in 2019. Just before the start of a new chapter. Cameron Boyce was a fairly recent death as well aged only 20. Followed in suit by rapper Juice Wrld who suffered a seizure due to an overdose. Just to name a few.
This year also gave us the Popeyes Chicken Sandwich craze upon the world. A Taco Bell Hotel also popped up in the business. The U.S. economy has grown significantly. 428 Billion Dollars were donated to charity in all this year as well. Tiktok also reared its head towards the middle of the year.
Top Songs also Included:
“Old Town Road” By Lil Nas X
“Bad Guy” By Billie Eilish
“Suge” By DaBaby
“Highest In The Room” By Travis Scott
Looking back on the last ten years really shows how much the world has changed around us right before our eyes. Sometimes we don’t even notice, being caught up in day to day life. Whether it’s the type of music that was trending, the clothes we wore, or events that will stay with us forever. It’s always nice to take a look back. And remember, let’s see where 2020 takes us, and maybe 10 years later, we’ll be looking back on this year too.